Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Journaling


A couple of weeks ago a fairly well known evangelical leader came to the mega-church in town. He is somebody I have known of for a long time. Theologically and socially conservative, but also understanding of the fact that the post-Christian culture we live in should not be expected to accomodate Christianity.

I thought the guy was worth going to hear and I wanted to encourage some folks from my congregation to go with me. So I googled his name to get a bio that I could email around. The google turned up the most ridiculously absurd. Right in the top five of search results was this: "So-and-so also encourages a dangerous New Age practice - something called journaling."

Suddenly I was imagining some fundamentalist cavemen sitting around in leopard skins. "So-and-so also encourages a dangerous New Age practice - something called writing."

I tell you.