Monday, May 07, 2007

The Village Church


I love the village church. It is a sign of the faith of generations' past. I wrote an article about the history of our church for the Colchester Sun earlier this year.

Since the Sun didn't post that article online I have decided to post the text myself. It is long, but worth the read I think. . .

My wife and I are celebrating our one year anniversary as Colchester residents. We moved here last February from North Carolina when I accepted the call to be the pastor of the United Church of Colchester. Ours is the brick church in the village with the tall, spired steeple. We share the parking lot with the Burnham Memorial Library.

One of my first tasks as a pastor in a new church and a new town was to familiarize myself with both the history of the congregation and the history of the community. Joyce Sweeney, a longtime resident of Colchester and member of the United Church, handed me Ruth Wright’s book Colchester Vermont From Ice-Age to Interstate. Wright includes in her book an excerpt from the diary of Rev. Nathan Perkins, a Connecticut minister who toured the region in 1789. In those days ministers were among the most highly educated in society and their surviving journals oftentimes provide invaluable insight into the temperament of a particular people at a particular time in history. I was hoping I could glean a little insight from Reverend Perkins’ experience and parlay it into my current context. His description of the topography, terrain, and fauna was just what I expected:
Moose plenty on ye mountains over against Jericho, Essex and Colchester – people hunt them – eat them in lieu of beef - & get their Tallow. Bear and wolves, plenty – timber, beach maple, – pine, hemlock, cherry-birch & some oak and Walnut – land extra ordinary good . . .

What I had not expected was Rev. Perkins’ account of the people of this area, which was altogether shocking:
[P]eople nasty – poor – low-lived – indelicate – and miserable cooks – All sadly parsimonious – many profane –yet cheerful and contended – the women more contented than ye men turned tawney by ye smoke of ye log huts – dress coarse & mean & nasty & ragged.

I often wonder if the construction of what is now the United Church of Colchester either precipitated or resulted from the end of all that meanness and nastiness. In either case the construction of what is now the brick church must have been quite an undertaking for such a “sadly parsimonious” group. Yet despite whatever personal difficulties they might have had, the Congregationalists and Baptists pooled their resources and ingenuity in 1838 and built themselves a fine church which outlasted Rev. Perkins and several other generations of ministers after him. The church is a grand building with a picturesque New England village church steeple on top. On occasion I will slip up into the attic just below the belfry and marvel at the construction. The lumber was all hand chopped and precision fitted. Only the sturdiest of pine and hemlock was selected. It is obvious that the builders intended to craft something that would last. In commenting about the construction of the building one person in our congregation recently said to me, “You know there was probably no blueprint at all for this building, but someone sure as heck knew what they were doing.” Indeed they did.

For twenty years the Baptists and Congregationalists shared the building until the Baptists raised enough to build their own white church down the street. Sixty years later the two congregations merged to become one single congregation – the United Church of Colchester. The United Church continued to use both buildings for several decades until the white church was sold to the town in the 1990s. That building now serves as the Colchester Meeting House.

When I was officially installed as the pastor last May I began thinking about what kind of footprint I might like to make over these next few years. I again turned to Ruth Wright’s book to see what kind of legacy the ministers before me had left. What I read there shocked me once more.

According to Wright, the first minister of the United Church, Stephen Talbot, knew how to preach a serious sermon. The congregation, however, was apparently more captivated by his young son Andrew’s attempts to escape the confines of a pew – by any means necessary. Rev. Delbert Donnocker’s sermons packed a punch but he was “more remembered for his wife’s culinary skills, and for his personal love of a fast horse.” These, and the flop of a clambake he proposed. (Perhaps things would have turned out differently had he solicited the counsel of his wife in the matter.) But my favorite has to be Rev. A. Ritchie Low, whose erratic driving apparently left a real impression on the hearts, minds and yards of the congregation.

After reading these accounts I was beginning to suspect Joyce Sweeney had acted with malice of forethought in not disclosing this book to me before I answered the call to come as pastor. But then I read a little more about Rev. Low’s tenure and realized that indeed I was called as pastor of the United Church of Colchester for a very distinct purpose. According to Wright, in 1929 Rev. Low “began working out plans for interracial fellowship at the child level.” An interracial fellowship at the child level in 1929? What that would have meant I do not even know. What I do know is that my wife Irie and I are expecting a little girl sometime next month. I am white and Irie is black and when that child is born a dream that was begun way back in 1929 will finally come true. We will have interracial fellowship at the child level at the United Church of Colchester.
I suppose that is the really wonderful thing about belonging to a church as old as ours. You are always living out someone else’s dreams.

Much has changed since the Baptists and Congregationalists first dreamed of building themselves a church in the early 19th century. The moose in these parts have disappeared. And so have the log huts. The poverty, though not completely eliminated, is much diminished.

But for all that has changed about the context of our ministry, one thing remains the same. We are still working to create a place where others can come and find grace. That is what it meant to be church when the brick building went up in 1838; and that is what it continues to mean all these many years later.

In that sense you might say we are still building the “brick church.” There are still no blue prints. We only have the dreams of those who came before us. And our dreams as well. And faith that someone knows what the heck they are doing . . .